Emmanuel UMC action to
Online Zoom Instructions
Updated April 17, 2020
Dear Emmanuel UMC Congregation,
**Special note added April 3 - Our Zoom meetings are now password protected. Please contact the Church to get the password if you have not received an email.**
Our worship services will continue to be held on Facebook and through a Zoom meeting until at least June 10. The regulations set by the VAUMC will be reevaluated on June 11 unless the stay at home order issued by Governor Northam is rescinded sooner, and we will update you of any changes. Each Sunday you can join in on Zoom at 9:30 a.m. for a time of gathering and conversation and then continue watching the worship service. On Facebook, you can just watch the service at and make comments by typing in the comment section below the video. Try to log in to FB at least a few minutes before 10:00 a.m., so that you have it already running when it is time to start. You can use the link on our home page or click here https://www.facebook.com/emmanuelumcva/
The worship service begins at 10:00 a.m. If you are using Zoom you can participate in the conversation, if you have your microphone on. However, It is important that you mute your microphone when it is 10:00 a.m. I am including a few instructions below for you to check out prior to the next worship service if you would like to use Zoom to join us.
If you would like to use Zoom on your phone:
- First, check to make sure you have the Zoom app. You can get this in the Play Store or Apple Store. Search for "Zoom Cloud Meetings" and install that on your phone.
- This is a screenshot of the page you will see when you open the app.
- You will click the blue "Join a Meeting" when it is time for the service.
- This is a screenshot of the page that will come up to let you join. It gives you several options to join.
You can enter the Meeting ID which I have provided below, or you can join with the link.
Topic: 3/29 Emmanuel UMC Sunday Live Worship
Time: Mar 29, 2020, 09:30 AM Eastern Time (the US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 486 190 6813
- Once you enter the ID the "Join Meeting" button will turn blue and you click on that.
- Next, you will get a white pop up box that allows access permission for Zoom. Click "Got It" Then you may have to click "Allow" for recording.
- After that, your video screen should begin.
Here is an early morning screenshot of my daughter and I experimenting with Zoom, so that I could walk through it. Obviously not posed. This is similar to what the screen set up is if you join into Zoom on your computer as well. In the bottom left corner, you have the headphones icon(just below the white bubble in this picture-that says Call via Device Audio). Click on that so that you can hear what is going on and participate in the conversation. Once you have clicked on that the icon changes to a microphone icon. When the service is about to begin you need to click that button again to mute your microphone.
- At the end of the meeting or at anytime that you need to stop watching you can click the upper right-hand corner where it says "Leave" in red.
There are other icons all along the bottom of your screen for you to check out. There will be one for "Chat" and during the service, you can type comments in chatting if you should need to.
If you plan on using Zoom on your computer on your tablet:
Again it is a good idea to check it out prior to the service to familiarize yourself with what it looks like so you know what to do.
- Go to Zoom.us and in the upper right-hand corner hover over the "Resources" tab. Click on "Video Tutorials" and you can watch How to join a meeting for an easy explanation. Here is the link for it as well https://youtu.be/hIkCmbvAHQQ
They also offer a test meeting if you scroll down on that screen below the video. This is a good way for you to go in and play around in the system to see where the icons are.
- When you go to either the trial meeting or when you join a real meeting it will have a white pop up box at the top of the screen and you will click "Allow" If it is having an issue, the screen you are on should also offer three other areas to click on (in blue) to try; "click here", "download", or "join from your browser"
- Next, it will ask you to enter your name.
- After that, a video screen should open. It may prompt you to test your audio/microphone. This is why it is important to log in before the service begins so that you are certain that your system is running the way you want. Answer the questions it asks and click "Join in on Audio"
- In the bottom left corner, you have the headphones icon. Click on that so that you can hear what is going on and participate in the conversation. Once you have clicked on that the icon changes to a microphone icon. When the service is about to begin you need to click that button again to mute your microphone.
- On the computer version(not phone) of Zoom, you will have the red "Leave meeting" button in the bottom right of the screen.
I hope all of this helps. Let's keep learning and worshiping together! Have a great day!